Is it possible to study in the UK without IELTS? Yes, it is possible to study in UK without IELTS if you apply to certain universities that have alternative requirements such as proof of over 60% in English in Class XI and XII, an undergraduate degree in English or a pre-sessional language course available for international students. Some of the top UK universities without IELTS are the University of Central Lancashire, University of Greenwich, Swansea University, University of Northampton, University of Plymouth, Portsmouth University and Northumbria University. In this blog, we bring you all the information about the colleges and courses to study in the UK without IELTS.
List of UK Universities Without IELTS
Amongst the UK’s vast range of highly ranked and globally acclaimed universities, there are many universities that provide admission to foreign students without the compulsion of IELTS. Here are all the UK universities without IELTS:
- University of Essex
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Greenwich
- Swansea University
- University of Northampton
- University of Plymouth
- Portsmouth University
- Northumbria University
- Robert Gordon University
- University of Bolton
- London South Bank University
- University of Geneva
- Riga Technical University
- Audencia Nantes School of Management
- University of Bristol
- Birmingham City University
- University of Basel
- University of Warwick
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Aston University
- Bangor University
- Brunel University
UK Study Visa without IELTS 2022
Can I get a UK student visa without IELTS? Yes, it is possible to get a UK study visa without IELTS only if you can provide the immigration authorities with a document from the university you have admitted that you are eligible for a study visa without IELTS. Here are the key requirements for a UK study visa without IELTS:
- A document attested by your university with the statement that you can apply for UK study visa without IELTS scores
- Acceptance letter from a university in the UK
- Aspirants can also appear for the Secure English Language Test (SELT) mandated by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as valid proof for English proficiency without IEL
How to Study in the UK without IELTS?
IELTS is not the only way that a university can examine the English proficiency of applicants. If you haven’t given the IELTS exam, there are some alternatives provided by universities in the UK. Let’s look at the substituting criteria of IELTS offered by UK universities:
- Online interview: Some universities may ask you to appear for an online interview to assess your English
- English marks obtained in high school: If you have scored more than 70% in English in your high school, then some universities will consider your high school marks rather than IEL However, universities have set their own requirements for different courses. You can obtain more detailed information from Leverage Edu experts!
- English major: If you studied English as a major specialization while pursuing your undergraduate degree, then you do not need to appear for IEL
- Pre-sessional English Course: As elaborated above, some universities offer
- pre-sessional English courses for those who plan to study in UK without giving IELTS and thus can opt for these courses once they get accepted for their chosen degree or diploma program.
In order to study abroad, especially in an English-speaking country, submission of English proficiency test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc. plays a crucial role in the application procedure. Similarly, to study in the UK, IELTS is generally needed by many academic institutions but there is another way to get admission into an English university without providing these scores.
Yes, it is possible to study in UK without IELTS through the following requirements:
- Proof of over 70% in English in High School/Class XI and Class XII or transcript of a short term English course
- Proof that English as the medium of instruction in your school
- Take an Online Interview conducted by the university
- An undergraduate degree in English
- Pursue a Pre-sessional English course offered by the university before starting your program in the UK
Note: You can apply for those UK universities that need proof of your academic records in English to gauge your language proficiency along with utilising other parameters such as taking a telephonic interview round or considering those who have studied a degree or majored in English.